- US Cleared for Giving Guatemalans Syphilis @Courthouse News
- House panel recommends Holder be found in contempt of Congress @LA Times
- Counter-groping the TSA not viable strategy @Wired Threat Level
- Hundreds of pet owls abandoned after Harry Potter craze fades @Mirror
- Hebrew National hot dogs not kosher, lawsuit claims @Reuters
- Swedish zoo worker killed in wolf attack @Google/AFP
- Scores in N.C. are legally ‘innocent,’ yet still imprisoned @USA Today
- Shrimp inspires lightweight body armor @TG Daily
tl;dr we should have a .5% tax on trades.
Actor Mark Ruffalo and Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello have launched a new US campaign for a “Robin Hood tax”, a small levy on Wall Street transactions that organisers say could generate hundred of billions of dollars a year.
The campaign, backed by National Nurses United, the largest nursing union in the US, has already launched in 14 countries, including the UK, France and Germany.
Organisers of the campaign, which also features Coldplay singer Chris Martin, are calling for a tax of “less than half of 1%” on Wall Street transactions, which they say would not affect most Americans’ financial activity.
Who knew that some noises could eventually become as extinct as the passenger pigeon? Depending on your age, you or your kids or grandchildren may have only heard some of the following sounds in old movies, if at all.
One of the sounds that is on the chopping block is the coffee percolator. As someone who actually enjoys the beverage and is willing to source quality brew in and out of the home that’s sort of a good riddance.
Of course, some of the diminishing tech here is probably a sign of hard things to come. My mom typed 110 words per minute on a manual typewriter. Gave her Hulk hands like you wouldn’t believe. One time she slapped a dog in half.
Hear ‘em all: 11 Sounds That Your Kids Have Probably Never Heard.
Turkeys + Dubstep = TURKEY DUBSTEP
In case you don’t have enough time or drugs to get through the original. The speed and choice of music change the message a wee tad, but it’s still beautiful.